Friday, March 5, 2010

Knitting Needle Case

I have this online friend from my amazing mommy group I joined back when I was pregnant with Ian who does some really beautiful knitting. When I had Evan, she sent me the most adorable booties and hat, and I have been trying to think of a good way to thank her. So, I decided to try my hand at making a knitting needle case. Here's a tutorial on how to make one yourself. Please note though: I put batting between the fabric layers because I used a really thin, silky fabric, but I think it would be better constructed using heavier fabrics and no batting.


You will need:
1 yd of two sided fabric (we'll call it Side A and Side B) Or, you could get 1/2 yd of two complimentary fabrics
1/2 yd batting
2 yds black or coordinating cord
Sewing machine & basic supplies

Directions:
1. Cut your fabric
Cut one 22"x 15" piece of Side A
Cut one 8" x 15" piece of Side A
Cut one 29" x 15" piece of Side B
Cut one 29" x 15" piece of batting
Cut two 4.5" x 5.5" pieces of Side A


2. Sew the 22" x 15" and 8" x 15" pieces together, right sides together, to make one 29" x 15" piece. Press seam open.



3. Layer all pieces in this order: batting, pieced 29" x 15" Side A facing up, 29" x 15" piece Side B facing down. Sew all the way around, leaving about 4 inches to turn, press, and stitch closed.



4. Fold Side A at the seam to make a pocket, fold black cord in half, and place ends between the layers at the top of the pocket. Stitch both sides of the large pocket together.



5. Sew the 4.5" x 5.5" pieces together with right sides together leaving a small opening. Turn, press, and close opening.
6. Pin 4.5" x 5.5" piece to center of bottom pocket on the case and topstitch right and left sides to create a small pocket. Leave top and bottom open.


7. Topstitch 2 seams on each side of small pocket, evenly spaced, about 1.75" apart. Stitch from the bottom of the pocket to the top of the pocket.

8. Topstitch all the way around entire kitting needle case, closing up bottom on small pocket.

9. Fill, fold, and roll. :)





I hope those instructions made sense. They did in my head, at least. The fabric I used was silky and hard to work with so it didn't turn out as nice as I'd like. I am going to try another with different fabric, but, in the meantime, I am sending this one to my friend as a test run. She doesn't know she's getting it, so lets see if she's even reading my blog. ;)








1 comment:

  1. very pretty! you are so going to be giving me sewing lessons soon : )

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Search This Blog